Alec Fuller’s #TRUTH Project

On October 13 graphic design student Alec Fuller presented his #TRUTH Project: a website that encourages visitors to use hashtags to indicate the degree of truth they assign to various images. He will be parsing the results for data and inspiration for a series of graphic design projects. The following copy is from a project description.

# # #

My interests within art have been far, wide, and somewhat unstable throughout the years. Yet since taking my first design courses with Ara (Pag-ibig) Feducia in the fall semester of 2013, I found an interest that I could truly see myself committing to in the future for the first time. It is the first interest of mine that I could see transforming into a viable career after graduation and the first interest that seems to reach the masses better than many other art forms.

Seeing the career that many designers have built for themselves and their day-to-day lives inspired me to follow along the design path and hopefully build a portfolio that could lead me into a professional designer position. With a platform such as design to express my opinions and generally unseen facts, I found that a directed work course that focused on one question throughout the entire semester would be the optimal option for me; that question being – what really is a truth?

Most recently, this question came to my mind again as a result of the actions in Ferguson, Missouri. While I consider the media, the people I surround myself with, and myself to be rather liberal, I saw a completely different side to the same story presented by various media outlets. The side I absorbed on a daily basis (by mostly left wing channels) told a story of an unarmed, teenaged African American boy that was unjustly shot multiple times by a white police man. Yet another side existed that ferociously attacked this story, calling attention to the fact that the boy was a thief and the officer was simply doing his call to duty. It occurred to me that the support thrown to either side, for the individuals that were not present during the event, were based almost solely off of interaction with the media. Depending on which social media accounts, websites, newspaper articles, magazines, people you surrounded yourself with, or TV report shows you watched, your stance was more or less decided for you by the rather nonbiased information that you were fed. Ferguson was not the first, nor will it be the last, time that the media has pushed individuals to take sides – which, to me, raises the interesting question of just how far the media can control our opinions, thoughts, and subsequent actions? If we rely on only the information that third party observers relay to us, are our opinions really even our own? And if so, is “the truth” a concept that humans have just invented to validate ourselves? Is the truth even something tangible, or something we reinvent depending on the situation?